Tuesday 24 May 2016

Staffordshire Pottery Plushes / Pillows


I'm still in love with Staffordshire Pottery thanks to the MATS course that I'm currently taking! I have submitted my outcome to that part of the course already, which you can read about here. In my spare time, I have been developing and drawing and making new creations based on the doodles and sketches I had in my sketchbook. Above, I made some pillows, or plushes ! I thought I'd share a few today, and the process behind printing them. 
 The first thing I did was enlarge some of my favorite characters from my sketchbook. I painted them on to tracing paper with drawing ink because I wanted them to have a painterly feel to them.
Then I exposed these on to a silk screen. 
I mixed a bright blue ink with binder ff so that I could cure it on to the fabric, and screenprinted them on to durable cotton. Here they are freshly printed on the printing bed and on the drying rack: 

Next, I decided to make a few plushes (they are sitting proudly in my sitting room and I can't bear to part with them!) I cut around the characters, backed it with a soft material on the back, like baby cord or a fleecy material so that they are soft to hold and cuddle. 

 I'd love to know what you think!


3 comments:

  1. I love them they're adorable and the idea of screen printing and making them into a cushion is lovely!

    Jodie, A Textile Perspective :)

    ReplyDelete