Thursday, 14 January 2016

Make Art That Sells 1

As promised, here is my first Make Art That Sells (MATS) assignment outcome. 
The brief was to produce a design for bolt fabric under the theme 'vintage kitchen' 
based on observational drawings of pasta and Pyrex style dishes:

This was my first attempt and I took a week to step back from it and re-address it, something wasn't quite right. I did like the icons and the energy of the design - when I made it as a repeat it looked fun - but I felt that overall it was a bit cluttered and too many colours (even though I do like it!) so I decided to make some cut outs and add texture to them using printing ink and scan them in to create a 'mono-printed' effect. I wanted the shapes to be stronger, more refined and their to be delicious textures in the design: 

The colours I was restricted to in the printing inks determined the overall scheme. Although I did mix the colours to a vintage palette which I had previously decided - I wasn't distracted by the millions of possibilities that you have on photoshop or illustrator, which helped me a lot! Here is the final version: 

I particularly like the coordinates at the bottom! I might get it printed on to fabric and whip up a purse or something kitchen-y for my portfolio. Had a great time doing this Make Art That Sells assignment - although I didn't think it would take me as long as it did to complete the first one. Shows that I need to work harder and faster since spending two years writing and researching... but I'm happy with this outcome now and ready to start assignment 2! 

No comments:

Post a Comment