Sunday 9 August 2020

Quilting


Last year, I screen printed these Owl's for the Hot Bed Press 20:20 2019 print exchange and exhibition. Each year they do a call out for printmakers to produce a 25 run of 20 cm x 20 cm prints - any subject and produced by any printing technique. As part of the Art House  print studio, where I produce my screen-prints, we formed a collective and I produced these owl prints. 
I really loved him and the square shape made me think how I could add other panels to it to create a big quilt. I was pregnant at the time and thought how lovely it would be to create a playmat for my son, or a wall hanging for his bedroom. I really enjoyed setting myself a personal project, and it was a big mathematical work-out, creating all the layers to print and working out the order of the colours, but super rewarding and fun to do. Here are some snap-shots of the process: 
I really enjoy printing on to cloth, building up the layers, seeing the patterns and characters come to life, but also the expectation that it's not the end once the final layer in put down - that it can be made into lots of new items - there's still lots of possibility! 
This week, I took the final quilt out to a local lake to take some photographs for my website . I love how it came together and I love that it is a completely unique gift for my son and that I've applied my illustrations on to a quilt. So much fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment